Friday, July 24, 2009

Will I recognize Him when I see Him?

Sometimes I run into someone that I think I know from somewhere. I may stare at them for awhile trying to figure out where I know them from. I might even get up the gumption to actually ask them if we know each other. Sometimes it turns out that they work at a store I go to and realize that we really have nothing in common and have never really talked.

Every once in a while I see a woman around town. I've seen her pushing a child in a stroller or shopping somewhere. I know her name and immediately recognize her. But I don't talk to her when I see her. Why? The last time we talked was probably on a playground in 5th grade. Actually, I don't remember if we have ever talked. We were in the same grade, but I think she was in a different classroom.

I wonder sometimes if I will recognize Jesus when I meet Him face to face. Will I recognize the voice of the Shepherd? Or will I feel awkward and wonder what I'm going to say because I've spent too little time getting to know Him?

I never worry about having something to say to my wife, Renae, because we know each other and never run out of things to talk about.

A few years ago, a former pastor pondered in a sermon whether he knew what the voice of God sounded like. In the voices we hear, how do we recognize when God is speaking and when we are just hearing that voice we want to hear – our own?

How do we recognize a person, a face, a voice?

We do that by getting to know them. By spending time with them. By not doing all the talking, but listening to them.

I want to know Jesus. I want to recognize His voice. I want to hear Him and speak to Him and spend time with Him. I don't want to get to heaven and see Him and think "Do I know you?" because I've spent too little time with Him.

We can get so busy with things we consider so important each day, but frankly, what on earth could possibly be more important than knowing the creator of the universe who wants us to know Him?

What could be greater than that?!?!

Scotte Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment